Prior to Mackey Law Group, Peter worked for a large law firm practicing litigation. Upon graduation from law school, he joined Hancock & Estabrook in Syracuse, New York, then Peter joined Holland & Knight in its Bradenton, Florida office.
Peter was born in Syracuse, New York; but spent most of his youth in Setauket, New York on the North Shore of Long Island. He attended Allegheny College in Meadville, Pennsylvania and then graduated in 1980 from SUNY at Stony Brook, where he was Phi Beta Kappa. He then spent two years as the “yard manager” for a large marina/boat dealership in Port Jefferson, New York before attending Boston College Law School, receiving his law degree in 1985.
Pete is an assertive litigator; he tries cases. He is not an “office lawyer/motion practitioner” or one who seeks fancy lawyer ratings. The scope of Peter’s experience includes: mechanic’s lien representations, contract disputes, commercial foreclosures, judicial business dissolution’s, probate litigation and all aspects of a general commercial litigation practice. Peter also regularly represents clients in complex family law matters and personal injury/wrongful death cases.
Peter is admitted to practice in Florida, New York State, and the United States Federal Courts. A few examples of what Peter has been able to attain for our clients follows:
- Patent jury trial victory in Florida Federal Court; followed by appellate argument in Washington, D.C. U.S. Court of Appeals. A California Patent Law Firm was on the other/losing side.
- Federal Court victory attained for client concerning the precursor to the digitalization of cell phone frequencies in Florida. One of the oldest and largest law firms in Boston was on the other/losing side. Mackey Law Group’s client procured $3.65 million dollars.
- Jury trial victory in Federal Court concerning our client’s employment and shareholder dispute against his government contractor employer. A large AV rated Washington, D.C. firm and a Miami “super lawyer” law firm were on the other/losing side. The verdict was then appealed by the losing side to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia where Peter procured an order affirming the verdict.
- Many state court bench and jury verdicts in Florida concerning construction litigation, commercial litigation, real estate disputes, and even a six-figure jury verdict while representing one of Florida’s largest law firms.
- Many personal injury case resolutions (some with $1M+ recoveries) including multiple wrongful death actions; the most recent one involving finding a way around Florida’s worker’s comp. law to procure a $1.3M settlement after three other Florida law firms had turned the client’s case away.
- Many Family Law trial victories; some followed by procuring appellate court rulings affirming the trial court’s decision.
Peter and Cathie live on the water in Holmes Beach and have four children: a Vanderbilt University graduate and college triplets. When they are not working, you can usually find Peter and Cathie boating off of the West Coast of Florida or out on their Harleys.
Do you need a courtroom-seasoned litigator who is obsessed with winning and won’t back down? Do you need a law firm that has the horsepower to correctly try your case? Look no further.