Prior to Mackey Law Group, Peter worked for large law firms practicing litigation. Upon graduation from law school, he joined Hancock & Estabrook in Syracuse, New York., then Peter moved to Florida and joined Holland & Knight in its Bradenton office.
Peter was born in Syracuse, New York; but spent most of his youth in Setauket, New York on the North Shore of Long Island. He attended Allegheny College in Meadville, Pennsylvania and then graduated in 1980 from SUNY at Stony Brook, where he was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He then spent two years as the “yard manager” for a large marina/boat dealership in Port Jefferson, New York before attending Boston College Law School, receiving his law degree in 1985.
Pete is an assertive litigator; he tries cases. He is not a local-boy “office lawyer/motion practitioner”. The scope of Peter’s experience includes: mechanic’s lien prosecutions/trials, contract disputes, commercial foreclosures, judicial business dissolutions, probate litigation and all aspects of a general commercial litigation practice. Peter also regularly represents clients in complex family law matters (which include corporation and retirement plan valuations) and personal injury/wrongful death matters.
Peter is admitted to practice in Florida, New York State, and the United States Federal courts. A few examples of what Peter has been able to attain for our clients follows:
- Patent jury trial victory in Florida Federal Court; followed by appellate argument in Washington, D.C. U.S. Court of Appeals. A California Patent Law Firm was on the other/losing side.
- Millions of dollars attained for client in Florida Federal Court after 3 mediations, and an arbitration, all court ordered. The largest law firms in Boston was on the other/losing side.
- Jury/trial victory in Florida Federal Court concerning our client’s employment and shareholder dispute against his government contractor employer. Large Washington, D.C. and Miami law firms were on the other/losing side.
- Many state court bench and jury verdicts in Florida concerning construction litigation, commercial litigation, real estate disputes, and even a jury verdict while repeatedly one of the largest law firms in Florida concerning six-figure debt owed to that law firm.
- Many personal injury case resolutions (some with million dollar plus recoveries) including multiple wrongful death actions; the most recent one involving finding a way around Florida’s worker’s comp. law to procure a seven figure settlement after three other Florida law firms had turned the client’s case away.
Peter and Cathie live on the water in Holmes Beach and have four children: a Vanderbilt University graduate and college triplets. When they are not working, you can usually find Peter and Cathie boating off of the West Coast of Florida or out on their Harleys.
Do you need an excellent courtroom-seasoned litigator who is obsessed with winning? Do you need a law firm that has the horsepower to correctly try your case? Look no further.